Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sweet Potato Rolls

After battling migrains off and on for the last week and a half, I'm finally getting around to posting this recipe. I had planned to make a batch up and take pictures of each step so it would be a really nice presentation but sorry, I didn't get around to it. So, without further ado.....


Sweet Potatoe Rolls

3 3/4 to 4 1/4 cups all purpose Flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 pkg. dry yeast- that's regular and not the quick yeast THOUGH you can use that if you want
1 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
1 egg
melted butter for brushing tops after baking

Grease some cookie sheets (I use cooking spray). Measure out 1 cup flour, sugar, salt and yeast and mix well. In a pan, heat the milk and 1/4 cup butter until it's very warm (about 120' to 125') Add this along with the sweet potatoes and the egg to the flour mixture. Mix on low speed of a mixer until it all moistened; then beat2 minutes at medium speed. By hand, stir in remaining flour to for a soft dough. It will be sticky.
On a floured board/counter top, knead dough until it's smooth and elastic, about 3-4 minutes. Put dough in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a towel. Let it rise until doubled in size in a warm place. (about 45-55 min.)
Punch it down several time to get all the air bubbles out and move it to your well floured surface again. Toss it until it's not sticky. Divide dough into 15-18 pieces (I usually make different sizes cause that's how I like it). Shape pieces into balls and put the about 2" apart on the greased sheets. Cover; let rise in a warm place again until doubled in size, about 1/2 hour to 40 min. Heat oven to 375'. Bake about 15 to 20 minutes or until they are golden brown and done inside. Melt some extra butter and immediately upon taking them out of the oven, brush them all over with the melted butter. Move to cooling racks.

This recipe really does well with both the regular yeast AND the quick yeast. I do it both ways. It just depends on how much time I have as to which yeast I use....

If you have any questions just jot me a note here and I'll do my best to answer them. AND if you don't have questions but make these...please post a note anyway and let me know how they turned out for you.

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Hi, yes it was me who reqested the recipe for the rolls, thank you for posting! I will be trying my had at these very soon and let you know how i got on, Thank you!

Hope your migraine is much better now, i've not had a bad one now for months(she said touching wood!)but know how they can be.

Take care..Maggie x

Mariana said...

Thanks Maggie about the feel better comment. Anyone who gets those things knows how bad they can be.

The recipe is really very simple and makes up quickly. They are GREAT as sandwich bread when you don't want a large sandwich. YUMMMM spicy mustard and any kind of meat OR just some grilled veggies with this. LOVE it. Hope yours turn out well.